To me, both of you are the American Idol. Hugely talented and from what we all saw on TV, nice guys as well. I just ran across both of you performing on the streets of NYC – the big press tour. You both seem to be enjoying it and taking it all in but both have somewhat of a shell-shocked look at times that this is all happening to you.
Well, it is. Have fun, enjoy every second but take some advice from a rock chick now old enough to be your mom. (That really hurt to write.)
- Be gracious. To everyone – your fans, your handlers, the guy who puts your mic on before the TV interview. Everyone. No exceptions.
- Follow your heart. If it doesn’t seem right, don’t do it. If the outfit they give you to wear is not you, respectfully decline to wear it. Stay true to yourself and don’t change because others want you to conform to their ideas of what you should be…or look like.
- Stay in charge. Don’t allow anyone to take over your finances or signature. I don’t care how busy you get or how rich you become, you sign the checks and you make the final decisions. Mick Jagger seems to find time to do it and you can do it as well.
- Remember where you came from. Stay in touch and stay close to your family and original friends. They are the ones that loved you and supported you before everyone else. Make time for them in your lives. Tell your handlers they will just have to deal with that.
- Save your money. The original Idol Kelly Clarkson did it the smart way. She made tons of money and the first thing she did was invest and put enough away to take care of her for the rest of her life. You make better decisions when you aren’t being led by desperation.
- Enjoy it all. This is not brain surgery. No one is going to die. There is no reason to let any of this stress you out. Take a big yoga breath and smile. And hang on for the ride of your life!
Dayna Steele, mom and former rock chick……